Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Adrian Wojnarowski leaves ESPN to take on a new role at St. Bonaventure.

 

Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN's senior NBA insider, has announced his decision to become the general manager of the men's basketball program at St. Bonaventure, as he shared with ESPN.


A proud alumnus of St. Bonaventure, Wojnarowski has maintained a strong connection with the program, notably serving as a fundraiser for the school's collective in recent years. He graduated from the western New York institution in 1991 and is recognized as a distinguished alumnus of the Jandoli School of Communication.


"It is a thrill of a lifetime to return to a university and community that I love in a role dedicated to serving our student-athletes, coaches, and institution," Wojnarowski expressed to ESPN. "I hope to bring value to our basketball program and help open doors for our young men's futures, both professionally and personally."

Adrian Wojnarowski, 55, has been with ESPN since 2017, having previously worked at Yahoo Sports and The Record of Bergen County in New Jersey, among other outlets.

"I am retiring from a dream job at ESPN and am incredibly grateful for my time and experiences with the Worldwide Leader," he shared.

The general manager position has become increasingly common in college basketball, especially with the transfer portal leading to frequent roster changes. This role involves overseeing name, image, and likeness (NIL) allocations, recruiting, and supporting the successful Bonnies coach Mark Schmidt.

"Woj is the ideal candidate for this new role, combining his deep understanding of St. Bonaventure and our Franciscan values with an extensive network of relationships in both professional and collegiate basketball," said St. Bonaventure athletic director Bob Beretta. "The fact that such a prominent journalist is willing to step away from a lucrative media career to support his alma mater speaks volumes about his love and passion for Bona's."

In a statement on social media, Wojnarowski reflected, "I grew up the son of a factory worker just two miles from ESPN's campus, and I only ever dreamed of making a living as a sportswriter. Thirty-seven years ago, the Hartford Courant gave me my first byline, and I never stopped chasing that thrill.

"While the craft has transformed my life, I've decided to retire from ESPN and the news industry. I recognize the commitment required for my new role, and it's an investment I'm no longer driven to make. Time is limited, and I want to spend it in ways that are more personally meaningful.

"I leave with immense gratitude for the many mentors, colleagues, subjects, and stories I've encountered, as well as the readers and viewers who have supported me. No one has benefited more than I have from the belief, trust, and generosity of others.

"The past seven years at ESPN have been a particular privilege. I am thankful to the company's leadership—especially ESPN chairman Jimmy Pitaro and executive editor Cristina Daglas—for their understanding and acceptance of my decision to make this life change.

"After all these years of reporting on everyone else's teams, I'm excited to return to my own."

Pitaro commented, "I've known and admired Woj since we first worked together at Yahoo! in 2007. His work ethic is unmatched, and he is extraordinarily talented and fearless. He has led the industry at ESPN, and his dedication to the craft and to fans is legendary. While we will miss his daily contributions, we fully support his decision to embrace a lifestyle change and slow down a bit. We know he will thrive in this next chapter and have our collective gratitude and support."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bangladesh makes steady progress to maintain their lead after two sessions.

    V S Day 1 - Bangladesh chose to field.        (80 ov)  339/6 Hasan Mahmud received increased backing from his teammates in the second se...